Because I like science, I read a lot of it while updating Being Emily. This ended up with many books and studies turning into only a few sentences on the page, but hopefully they’re the right, impactful sentences.
Here are some of the core concepts I heightened or added in the new edition of Being Emily:
- Being transgender (and gender identity in general) is influenced to some degree by genetics, hormones and hormone receptors.
- It’s unclear whether gender identity is also influenced by the shape of your brain or your gender identity shapes your brain.
- Kids learn gender early and begin to have a gender identity at young ages.
- Many trans girls know they’re girls at early ages both consciously and subconsciously.
- Trans kids who can socially transition young are not at high risk for depression and anxiety.
Here’s some of the science behind that understanding:READ MORE